Sweet Potato Breakfast Boats/ Sweet Potato Khachapuri is a delicious breakfast classic, perfect for any morning, brunch, or a light lunch.Sometimes it’s the simplest things that taste the best. I can’t get enough of this and have been eating it for two weeks straight.
You can make the sweet potatoes and spinach ahead of time, so it is perfect for busy mornings.
How To Prepare The Sweet Potatoes:
First, wash and dry the sweet potatoes. Drying is super important because we want the skin to crisp up nicely during baking (yes, you can absolutely eat the skin).
Poke holes with a fork all over the sweet potato.
Wrap the sweet potatoes in foil before placing them in the oven. You will want to cover your baking sheet with parchment paper because the juices tend to find their way out of the foil.
How long do you bake sweet potatoes?
It depends on two factors:
- The size of your sweet potato
- The oven temperature
The range tends to be between 40 minutes and 1 hour.
I really do try to make sure all of my potatoes are roughly the same sizes. This means they will all get done at the same time.
Looking for More Breakfast Ideas?
All opinions are always 100% honest and my own. Links are affiliate links. If you click a link and buy something, I receive a commission for the sale. It doesn’t cost you anything extra and you are free to use the link or not as you choose. If you do use my links, I appreciate your support!
Sweet Potatoe Khachapuri- Sweet Potato Breakfast Boats
- 2 large sweet potatoes
- 4 eggs
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small onion
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- About 6 cups fresh spinach
- 1/2 cup shredded Mozzarella cheese
- salt and pepper to taste
- hot sauce for serving optional
- Preheat the oven to 425°F/210°C.
- Wash and dry the sweet potatoes and poke them with a fork. Wrap each one with foil and place them on a baking sheet covered with parchment paper.
- Bake for 40 minutes to an hour until tender.
- Slice the potatoes in half and use a spoon to scrape out the inner flesh, making sure to leave at least a ¼-inch (6 mm) thick border on each side, saving the scooped-out potato parts to use for side dishes.
- Heat the olive oil in a large pan set over medium heat.
- Add the onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, 6 to 8 minutes.
- Add the garlic and cook, stirring occasionally, until fragrant, 1 to 2 minutes.
- Add the spinach, turn the heat to low, cover, and cook, until the spinach is very soft, about 5 minutes. Remove from the heat.
Assemble the boats:
- Reduce oven heat to 400°F/200°C.
- Fill each of the potatoes with a few tablespoons of the spinach filling.
- Carefully crack one egg inside of each sweet potato half, keeping the yolk intact. I find it easier to break the egg into a small bowl and then pour it into the hole.
- Sprinkle around the egg with cheese and season each potato with salt and pepper.
- Bake in the preheated oven until the eggs are cooked to your liking, about 8-10 minutes. (Longer if you want the yolk cooked hard.)
- Serve and enjoy immediately.