These Rolled Chocolate Cookies are my favorite cookies of all time. They come together using everyday items from your fridge and pantry, and quickly, too. You will only need one bowl! Yeap! No need for a food processor or mixer. These cookies are so good as a sweet afternoon treat, and they pair perfectly with a cup of tea or coffee. They are topped with powdered sugar and melt in your mouth, making them irresistible.
Before you start baking using this cookie recipe, measure and prepare your ingredients so the cooking process will go smoothly and easily.
Sour Cream: The sour cream gives the cookies a very tender and moist crumb plus a delicious tangy flavor. Use full-fat sour cream.
Oil: Neutral-tasting oil, like canola oil or vegetable oil, that won’t have too much of an impact on the flavors.
Vanilla extract: A flavor enhancer.
Flour: All-purpose regular flour is perfect for this cookie recipe.
Baking powder: To help the cookies rise a bit.
Powdered sugar (confectioners’ sugar): For smooth, soft dough and for garnish.
Chocolate spread: I used the “Date Lady” chocolate spread which is naturally sweetened with date syrup and is very delicious. However, you are welcome to use other spreads like Nutella.
Disclaimer: “Date Lady” was kind enough to send me products to test out. However, this post is not sponsored! All opinions are always 100% honest and my own.
Sprinkle shredded coconut or chopped nuts over the chocolate spread before rolling.
Drizzle tahini over the chocolate spread before rolling.
Mix ¼ teaspoon of cinnamon together with the chocolate spread.
Use other spreads like Halvah, Biscoff, and Dates spread.
Tips for Success:
Measure your flour correctly: When measuring your flour, avoid simply scooping it with a measuring cup. Instead, spoon it into your measuring cup and level it with the back of a knife. Another option is to use a digital scale. Weighing your ingredients is the most accurate method of measurement.
Baking: Don’t overbake these cookies. You don’t want to dry them out.
Slicing: After baking these cookies, take them out of the oven and let them cool COMPLETELY before slicing them up.
What do these cookies taste like?
These cookies taste like melt-in-your-mouth butter cookies that are filled with chocolate spread that fits perfectly.
How long will these cookies last?
These cookies will last for up to a week if stored in an airtight container at room temperature or up to 2 months if placed in an airtight freezer-friendly container in the freezer.
Can I freeze these cookies unbaked?
Prepare the cookies according to the instructions but before baking, freeze them in an airtight freezer-friendly container for up to 3 months.
When ready to bake, place the cookies on a parchment paper-lined baking sheet and bake in a preheated oven according to the instructions. You will need to add 5-10 minutes to the baking time.
Craving More Cookies?
All opinions are always 100% honest and my own. Links are affiliate links. If you click a link and buy something, I receive a commission for the sale. It doesn’t cost you anything extra and you are free to use the link or not as you choose. If you do use my links, I appreciate your support!
Rolled Chocolate Cookies
For the dough:
For the filling:
- 3/4 cup chocolate-date spread
- 1/4 cup (30 grams) powdered sugar
- In a large bowl, mix together sour cream, oil, vanilla, salt, and powdered sugar.
- Add flour and baking powder, and knead gently with your hands until you get a soft and smooth dough texture.
- Form the dough into a ball and place it in a medium-sized bowl and cover it with plastic wrap. Let the dough rest in the fridge for 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 340°F/170°C. Cover a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Divide the dough into 3 parts and roll each part into a rectangle about 9" long and 6" wide.
- Spread about 1/3 of the chocolate spread on each rectangle in an even and thin layer. Roll into tight rolls and place on the prepared baking sheet.
- Bake the rolls for about 30-35 minutes or until they are golden.
- Cool completely and slice into cookies with a serrated knife to get 1-inch thick slices.
- Sprinkle generously with powdered sugar and enjoy.
- Store these cookies in an airtight container at room temperature for up to a week.