Melt in your mouth Shortbread Tahini Bars with a delicious crumble on top! You won’t finish saying “Abracadabra” before they are gone, like magic! I love to experiment with different recipes by combining classic and new flavors. I used the dark chocolate tahini from Soomfoods, but I do give other filling options in the recipe card. Either way, you absolutely need to make these this holiday season!
These shortbread tahini bars are excellent for holiday gifting in a tin or for wrapping up in a nice bag. Also, they can be made ahead, just pop them in the freezer until ready to send or share at your next holiday event.
Before you start baking using this cookie recipe, measure and prepare your ingredients so the cooking process will go smoothly and easily.
Shortbread is made without eggs and without any type of leavening, like baking soda and baking powder. As a result, they don’t rise, but instead hold their shape.
Butter: Unsalted and softened to room temperature. Allow the butter to sit out on the counter for about 1-2 hours before starting your recipe. The amount of time depends on the weather and how cool you keep your kitchen.
Flour: All-purpose regular flour is perfect for this cookie recipe.
Love tahini? Me too!
All opinions are always 100% honest and my own. Links are affiliate links. If you click a link and buy something, I receive a commission for the sale. It doesn’t cost you anything extra and you are free to use the link or not as you choose. If you do use my links, I appreciate your support!
Shortbread Tahini Bars
For the dough:
- 2 cups and 2 tablespoons (300 grams) all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup (100 grams) granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- a dash of salt
- 1 stick and 6 tablespoons (200 grams) cold butter cut into cubes
- 2 tablespoons (30 ml) water
For the filling option 1:
- ¾ cup (180 grams) dark chocolate tahini spread
For the filling option 2 mix:
For the filling option 3:
- 3/4 cup (180 grams) your favorite jam or chocolate spread
- Make the dough:
- Preheat the oven to 340°F/170°C.
- Line the pan with parchment paper. Set aside.
- Put the flour, sugar, vanilla extract and salt in a food processor. Process in short pulses until it becomes a crumbly mixture.
- Add the butter and process until the mixture looks like coarse breadcrumbs.
- Scoop out 3/4 cup of the crumbs. Set aside.
- Add water to the food processor and process until a uniform dough is obtained.
- Press the dough into the prepared pan to form the bottom crust.
- Place the dough in the freezer for 20 minutes.
- Spread the filling over the crust.
- Top with remaining crumb mixture.
- Bake for 25 to 35 minutes until golden. Cool completely before slicing into small bars.
- Keep in an airtight container for up to seven days.