These Tahini Chocolate Chip Cookies were some of the best chocolate chip cookies that have ever come out of my oven. They have become one of my favorite afternoon treats. The tahini gives them a gentle savory taste, that pairs remarkably well with dark chocolate and a touch of salt. They are a little a bit crunchy around the edges and chewy in the center. Perfection!
New York has long been one of my favorite cities. I first visited 16 years ago, and it was love at first sight. After that, I couldn’t get enough of it, and honestly, I still can’t. New York is a great city to walk around with a great atmosphere, excellent culinary options, and plenty of iconic parks and sights. So, when I decided to take a long weekend off—it was a no-brainer—NEW YORK! My first stop was for lunch at Chelsea Market, which is a premier food and shopping hall. Then I went to Miznon, where you can get falafel or roasted cauliflower in a pita. Next, a friend recommended I try the Seed + Mill stand for some heavenly gourmet halvah, so I stopped there as well. Besides buying too many halvah blocks, I took some flyers from the stand, and this recipe was on one of them. As a huge fan of tahini, I had to try it! The cookies were so delicious that I had to share the recipe on the blog.
Before you start baking using this cookie recipe, measure and prepare your ingredients so the cooking process will go smoothly and easily.
Tahini: Runny tahini is key. This recipe works best with runny tahini that will easily mix with the other ingredients. Tahini brands vary widely in consistency, so look for one with a smooth, pourable texture. I like (affiliate links) Soom, Baron, and Seed+Mill.
Butter: Unsalted and softened to room temperature. Allow the butter to sit out on the counter for about 1-2 hours before starting your recipe. The amount of time depends on the weather and how cool you keep your kitchen.
Chocolate: You can use any chocolate chips you want or even chop up a chocolate bar and toss it in.
Craving more tahini?
All opinions are always 100% honest and my own. Links are affiliate links. If you click a link and buy something, I receive a commission for the sale. It doesn’t cost you anything extra and you are free to use the link or not as you choose. If you do use my links, I appreciate your support!
Game-Changing Tahini Chocolate Chunk Cookies
- 1 stick (110 grams) butter at room temperature
- 1/2 cup (120 grams) tahini paste (raw tahini)
- 1/4 cup (50 grams) granulated sugar
- 1 1/4 cups (250 grams) brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/3 cup (185 grams) all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon (4 grams) baking soda
- 1 teaspoon (6 grams) baking powder
- 5.3 oz (150 grams) dark chocolate chopped, or chocolate chips
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- Preheat oven to 350°F/180°C.
- In a stand mixer with a flat beater, combine butter, tahini, and sugars. Turn on to medium speed and beat until smooth.
- Add egg and vanilla, and increase speed, beating until fluffy.
- Turn off the mixer and add flour, baking soda, baking powder, and mix on low speed until combined.
- Using a spatula, fold in the chopped dark chocolate/chocolate chips until evenly spread.
- Place the dough in the refrigerator and let it chill for 1 hour.
- Using a cookie scoop or your hands, scoop balls of dough onto a parchment-lined baking sheet. Make sure to space out the cookies.
- Sprinkle salt over the dough.
- Bake for 10–14 minutes until lightly golden and the tops are crackly.
- Let the cookies cool in the pan for a few minutes and then transfer to a wire rack.