Are you one of those people who hit the snooze button repeatedly, dreading the thought of getting out of bed early in the morning? The good news is that you can still enjoy a delicious and effortless breakfast without sacrificing precious sleep. Egg in a Bagel Hole is a simple and delicious breakfast dish made by placing an egg inside a hole cut into a bagel and then cooking it until the egg is set and the bagel is toasted.
*You can cook fewer or more bagels; just adjust the number of eggs and toppings.
Bagels: Homemade bagels are great, but store-bought is the easiest route. Cut the bagels in half. Make the center of each bagel half at least 2 inches wide (to hold the egg). Make them gluten-free by swapping in your favorite GF Bagel.
Everything bagel seasoning: You can purchase everything bagel seasoning from many grocery stores and online retailers. However, you can use salt pepper if you don’t have access to the seasoning or prefer to skip it for any reason.
Eggs: An egg for each half of the bagel.
Toppings (completely customizable): Shredded cheese, crumbled Feta, chopped mushrooms, tomatoes, olives, chili flakes, and fresh herbs.
How to Make Egg in a Bagel Hole
- Prepare the bagels: Slice them into half, and cut out the holes’ center to make them larger using a small biscuit cutter or a knife.
- Spread/brush with butter: Brush the cut sides of the bagels with the softened butter and place them cut-side down on the baking sheet.
- Crack an egg into the center of each bagel hole.
- Season the egg with everything bagel.
- Serve while warm.
If you don’t have any bagels on hand, you can use sliced bread. Simply cut a hole with a cookie cutter into your slice of bread and follow all the directions as you would for a bagel.
More Recipes You’ll Love
All opinions are always 100% honest and my own. Links are affiliate links. If you click a link and buy something, I receive a commission for the sale. It doesn’t cost you anything extra and you are free to use the link or not as you choose. If you do use my links, I appreciate your support!
Egg In a Bagel Hole
- 2 bagels make them gluten-free by swapping in your favorite GF Bagel.
- 4 eggs
- 2 Tablespoons (30g) butter very softened /melted
- everything bagel seasoning
- your favorite toppings like chopped tomatoes, mushrooms, olives, and shredded cheese. optional
- Preheat the oven to 400ºF/200ºC. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Use a sharp knife to cut your bagels in half. It's important to make sure they are cut in half perfectly; you will want them to cook up at the same time.
- With a small biscuit cutter or a knife, cut out the center of the holes to make the holes larger (approximately 2 inches wide to accommodate the egg).
- Brush the cut sides of the bagels with the softened/melted butter and place them cut side down on the baking sheet.
- Carefully break an egg and gently place it in the center of the bagel.
- Sprinkle with everything bagel seasoning and your toppings (optional).
- Bake until the eggs are partially set (8 to 12 minutes, depending on how firm you want them).
- Enjoy immediately.