This breakfast sandwich is not only tasty, but it’s also easy to make and customizable to your preferences. Whether you’re in a rush or have time to savor your breakfast, the egg in a bagel is the perfect choice. So next time you’re in the mood for something different for breakfast, give this recipe a try!
*You can cook fewer or more bagels, just adjust the number of eggs and toppings.
Bagels: Any type will work. Use a sharp knife to cut your bagels evenly. You will want them to cook up at the same time, so it’s important to make sure they are cut in half perfectly.
Eggs: You will need an egg for each half of the bagel.
Cheese: I like Mozzarella and Feta, but any cheese of choice will work.
Toppings: (completely customizable): Chopped mushrooms, tomatoes, fresh herbs, salt, and pepper. Feel free to season however you would like.
Can I Make Egg in a bagel Without Bagels?
If you don’t have any bagels on hand, you can use sliced bread. Simply cut a hole with a cookie cutter into your slice of bread and follow all the directions the same as you would for a bagel.
Recipe Adaptation Ideas:
This bagel egg-in-a-hole recipe is excellent as is, but it’s also a concept you can customize however you like. Here are a few ideas:
- Everything (but the) bagel: Use an everything bagel as your base or sprinkle everything but the bagel seasoning over the top.
- Spice things up: Sprinkle chili flakes or drizzle Sriracha on top.
- Fat: Butter each bagel half before placing it on the baking sheet.
- To make gluten-free: Use gluten-free bagels.
Looking for More Breakfast Recipes?
Sweet Potatoe Khachapuri- Sweet Potato Breakfast Boats
Breakfast Tortilla with Sunny-Side Up Eggs
All opinions are always 100% honest and my own. Links are affiliate links. If you click a link and buy something, I receive a commission for the sale. It doesn’t cost you anything extra and you are free to use the link or not as you choose. If you do use my links, I appreciate your support!
Egg In a Bagel Hole
- 2 bagels
- 4 eggs
- 2 small tomatoes, chopped
- 4-6 mushrooms, chopped
- 3.5 oz (100 grams) Mozzarella cheese
- 2 tablespoons fresh chopped herbs like parsley and chive
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 400ºF/200ºC. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Place bagels on the pan inside face down.
- Carefully break an egg, separate the yolk, discard the white, and gently place it in the center of the bagel.
- Gently top the bagels with cheese and veggies.
- Bake until the eggs are partially set (5 to 8 minutes, depending on how firm you want them).
- Sprinkle the bagels with herbs and season with salt and pepper.
- Enjoy immediately.
They came out perfect! Thank you
My kids love it!
It is a great activity with kids