These refrigerated Pickled Red Onions are super easy to make and are ready to be enjoyed the very next day. It takes less than ten minutes to put everything together, and you probably have all the ingredients already in your pantry. I like to keep them on hand to upgrade any meal. These pickled red onions are the perfect condiment for falafel, salads, avocado toast, and more. They are good with just about anything, and they are sure to make your dish stand out.
You can make one large jar or multiple small jars of refrigerated pickles.
Red onions: Two small to medium size onions. For best results, slice your onions as thinly as possible.
Apple cider vinegar: Apple cider vinegar is my first choice because I like its sweet and tangy flavor. However, you can use white vinegar as well.
Sugar: Sugar balances the savoriness of the pickles but doesn’t overpower them. If you want, you can use maple syrup or honey instead.
Salt: Adds flavor to the pickles.
Extra seasonings (Optional): Want to add an extra flavor to your onions? You can add a couple of cloves of garlic, bay leaf, dill sprigs, whole black peppercorns, and jalapeños to the mix.
Slice the onions as thinly as you can. You can do this with a sharp knife, a food processor with a slicing disc, or a mandolin.
Wash your jar(s) thoroughly in hot soapy water, then rinse completely. Fill up the jar with very hot water, then remove the water and place the jar upside down on a rack or a clean kitchen towel to dry.
How to Store Pickled Onions?
Pickled red onions will last for up to 2 weeks in the fridge. From my experience, they won’t last long.
More Recipes You’ll Love
All opinions are always 100% honest and my own. Links are affiliate links. If you click a link and buy something, I receive a commission for the sale. It doesn’t cost you anything extra and you are free to use the link or not as you choose. If you do use my links, I appreciate your support!
Pickled Red Onions
- one 32-Ounces mason jar or two 16- Ounces jars
- 2 small-medium red onions
- 1/3 cup (80 ml) apple cider vinegar OR white vinegar
- 2 cups (480 ml) water
- 1/4 cup (50 grams) granulated sugar
- 1/2 tablespoon salt
- a few peppercorns, garlic cloves, and dill optional
- Slice the red onions as thin as you can. I used a food processor with a slicing disc, but a sharp knife or mandoline works well too.
- Break the onions apart and stuff them into the jar. *optional* Add extra seasoning like peppercorns, garlic cloves, and dill.
- Heat the vinegar, water, sugar, and salt over medium heat, and stir until the sugar and salt dissolve.
- Let the brine cool slightly, and pour it over the sliced onions.
- Allow the jar to cool to room temperature before covering it.
- Let it sit for 24 hours, and enjoy.
- Pickled onions will last in the fridge for up to 2 weeks.
Made it two days ago and it was great!
Simple and good
Made it a few days ago, added dill, it was delicious