Israeli salad is a chopped, healthy, and colorful Middle Eastern salad. It’s brimming with fresh vegetables and herbs; they all combine to create an explosion of flavors!
My grandparents used to have a bowl of Israeli salad on their dining table at all times. I used to snack on it as a child and especially loved to dip white bread in the juices at the bottom of the salad bowl.
Traditional Israeli salad is seasoned with olive oil, lemon juice, salt, and pepper. In this recipe, the salad is dressed in a homemade creamy tahini dressing which makes this salad (in my opinion) irresistible.
Tomatoes: Fresh ripe tomatoes. Roma tomatoes are a good choice since they are less watery. Cherry tomatoes are a great option too. Core your tomatoes and remove the seeds before chopping. Use every last bit of the red tomato flesh inside!
Cucumbers: Persian cucumbers are ideal, but English cucumbers also work.
Onion: Yellow, white, or red.
Parsley and mint: Adds that Middle Eastern touch.
Salt and pepper: Season with your heart.
Lemon juice and tahini for dressing: For that splash of nuttiness and bright flavor.
Add-ons: Israeli chopped salad is incredibly versatile. Feel free to add olives, chopped bell peppers, feta cheese, corn, and chopped pickles (my son’s favorite).
How to Store Israeli Salad
If making the salad ahead of time, keep the chopped vegetables separate from the dressing. Toss salad with dressing just before serving.
Leftover salad with the dressing will last in the refrigerator for up to a day
More Recipes You’ll Love
All opinions are always 100% honest and my own. Links are affiliate links. If you click a link and buy something, I receive a commission for the sale. It doesn’t cost you anything extra and you are free to use the link or not as you choose. If you do use my links, I appreciate your support!
Israeli Salad with Tahini Dressing
For the salad:
- 4 tomatoes finely diced
- 4 Persian cucumbers or one English cucumber finely diced
- 1 small onion (white, yellow, or red) finely diced
- 1/4 cup parsley chopped
- 1/4 cup mint chopped
For the dressing:
- 1/4 cup (60 grams) tahini paste (raw tahini)
- juice from 1/2 lemon
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- About 1/2 cup (120 ml) cold water
- salt and pepper to taste
- Chop all veggies into small pieces, the smaller, the better and place in a large bowl.
- Using a whisk or a fork, mix tahini, lemon juice, garlic powder, and salt. Whisk until thoroughly blended.
- Slowly add the cold water and whisk again. The dressing should become very runny. Taste and add more salt and garlic if needed.
- Before serving, toss the salad with the dressing, mix to combine. Enjoy.