A perfect little treat that is very easy to make and will satisfy all your sweet cravings. These chocolate-covered dates are stuffed with sweet tahini and are finished off with a sprinkling of chopped nuts and coconut. As far as I’m concerned, this is one of the best desserts ever. Serve these for a healthy treat that is naturally gluten-free and vegan.
Dates: Medjool dates because they are larger, juicer, and easier to stuff.
Pistachios and walnuts: Raw or roasted.
Dark chocolate: You can use any chocolate you like; use dark dairy-free chocolate chip for a vegan version.
Maple syrup: Real maple syrup — not just maple-flavored syrup, which can be loaded with refined sugar or high-fructose corn syrup.
Tahini: Runny tahini is key. This recipe works best with runny tahini that will easily mix with the other ingredients. Tahini brands vary widely in consistency, so look for one with a smooth, pourable texture. I like (affiliate links) Soom, Baron, and Seed+Mill.
Shredded coconut or desiccated coconut: Unsweetened shredded coconut, or my personal preference desiccated coconut. Desiccated coconut is grounded and has a moist texture.
Rose water (optional): Water infused with the flavor of roses. Rose water has a very distinct and strong flavor, so for this recipe a drop would be more than enough.
Love Dates? Try These Recipes:
All opinions are always 100% honest and my own. Links are affiliate links. If you click a link and buy something, I receive a commission for the sale. It doesn’t cost you anything extra and you are free to use the link or not as you choose. If you do use my links, I appreciate your support!
Chocolate-Covered Dates with Middle Eastern Flavors
- 12 Medjool dates
- 3 tablespoons tahini
- 3 tablespoons honey/ date syrup/real maple syrup
- 3 tablespoons shredded unsweetened coconut plus a little more for garnish
- 1/3 cup finely chopped pistachios and walnuts plus a little more for garnish
- 1 drop rose water optional
- 1/4 cup dark chocolate chips or chocolate pieces
- 1 teaspoon coconut or vegetable oil
- a handful of mixed chopped pistachios, walnuts, and shredded coconut
- Using a sharp knife, carefully cut a slit into each date and remove each pit.
- Mix tahini, maple syrup/honey, coconut, chopped pistachios, and walnuts in a small bowl. Add a drop of rose water (optional).
- Fill each date with a spoonful of the mixture.
- In a microwave-safe bowl or double broiler method, melt your chocolate chips with the oil until the mixture is melted and stir to combine.
- Coat the dates with melted chocolate and sprinkle with chopped pistachios, walnuts, and shredded coconut.
- Pop the covered dates on parchment and place them in the fridge for 30 minutes to set and enjoy.
- Leftovers should last up to one week… but I bet they’ll be gone before then! You can also store these treats in the freezer for 1-2 months.