These homemade sweet sour cream latkes are delicious and quick to whip up! I make them all the time, not just for Hanukkah; kids love them. The batter is super simple and comes together fast. They are light and fluffy, melt-in-your-mouth latkes, and a great option if you had enough of potato latkes. Serve warm, and enjoy every last bite.
Latke is the Yiddish word for pancake, so this recipe can also go by the name sour cream pancakes.
While this sweets sour cream latkes recipe is amazing as-is, you can jazz it up by serving it with maple syrup, jam, and fruits.
The ingredients couldn’t be more simple: Sour cream, flour, baking powder, sugar, salt, eggs, and vanilla!
All-purpose flour: The base of our latkes.
Sugar: Granulated sugar for a touch of sweetness and to balance the flavor of the sour cream.
Vanilla: For the best flavor, use real vanilla extract.
Baking powder: This is the leavening agent and will help make your latkes thick and fluffy.
Butter or coconut oil: They add great flavors while the latkes cook.
Eggs: Add structure, leavening, and color.
Sour cream: The not-so-secret ingredient that gives the latkes the perfect fluffy consistency. You can use regular or light sour cream; Fage 5% yogurt works great too.
How to Store Sweet Sour Cream Latkes
Let the latkes cool completely, then refrigerate in an airtight container for up to 5 days.
When ready to enjoy, layer 4 pancakes on a plate and microwave them for about a minute. Or you can cover them with foil and reheat them in the oven for 10 minutes at 350°F/180°C.
More Recipes You’ll Love
All opinions are always 100% honest and my own. Links are affiliate links. If you click a link and buy something, I receive a commission for the sale. It doesn’t cost you anything extra and you are free to use the link or not as you choose. If you do use my links, I appreciate your support!
Sweet Sour Cream Latkes
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons (20 grams) granulated sugar
- 1 drop vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup (120 ml) sour cream
- 7 tablespoons (70 grams) all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon (8 grams) baking powder
- coconut oil or butter for greasing
- maple syrup or jam, and fresh fruits
- In a large bowl mix eggs, sugar, and vanilla.
- Add the sour cream and mix well.
- Add the flour and baking powder and mix to a uniform batter.
- Set a medium nonstick frying pan over medium heat. *Be careful not to overheat the pan. A good test is to heat the pan over medium heat until a drop of water jumps across the surface.
- With a paper towel coated in oil or butter, lightly grease the pan.
- Working in batches, using an ice cream scoop or quarter cup measuring cup, pour the batter into the pan and spread the batter into a round shape.
- Cook until bubbles appear on top (2 to 3 minutes) and the bottoms are browned, then turn over.
- When the second side browns, transfer to a serving plate.
- Repeat with more coconut oil/ butter and the remaining batter, wiping the pan clean between each batch.
- Serve warm with maple syrup or jam, and your favorite fruits.