I remember the first time I ate at McDonald’s. It may not sound exciting today, but in the early 1990s, the chain had not yet arrived in Israel. I heard stories about this “amazing place” that prepares and serves food in a matter of minutes. When I traveled to France with my dance troupe, we were taken to have dinner at McDonald’s. I loved it. It felt special for a 12-year-old girl from Israel, like being in America. Now that I do live in America, I don’t go to these fast-food chains. Instead, I make my own potato wedges (like McDonald’s), and they are the perfect side dish, just great with everything. These potato wedges are impossibly crispy and crackly on the outside, with tender, pillowy potato insides.
The secret to making crispy potato wedges:
Cook your raw potato wedges in water for 15-20 minutes before baking. This extra step will ensure optimum crispiness!
How to prepare the potatoes:
Scrub and rinse potatoes under running water, remove any black spots. Cut them in half lengthwise, then cut each half in thirds lengthwise. You’ll have 6 long wedges from each potato. Slice the potatoes into even wedges, so they bake evenly!
Place potatoes in a large pot of salted water, and cover. Bring to a boil; cook for 15-20 minutes or until fork-tender. Drain.
Potato Wedge Serving Suggestions:
- Burgers: You have to try these Black Bean Burgers.
- Schnitzels: Try my Falafel Chicken Schnitzel.
- Tofu Skewers: My Tofu Skewers are easy to make and look stunning.
All opinions are always 100% honest and my own. Links are affiliate links. If you click a link and buy something, I receive a commission for the sale. It doesn’t cost you anything extra and you are free to use the link or not as you choose. If you do use my links, I appreciate your support!
- 3 medium-sized (1/2 Lb) potatoes (ideally Yukon Gold or Russets), washed and dried
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 3 tablespoons 45 ml olive oil
- 2 tablespoons (20 grams) cornstarch
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- *Optional* 1/2 teaspoon chili flakes
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 400°F/200°C.
- Slice the potatoes into half first, then slice each half lengthwise, into equally sized wedges.
- Place potatoes in a large pot of salted water, and cover. Bring to the boil; cook for 15-20 minutes or until fork-tender. Drain. Let them cool until they can be handled safely.
- In a small bowl mix olive oil and cornstarch until you reach a consistency of thick honey.
- Mix in paprika, garlic powder, onion powder, chili flakes, salt, and pepper.
- Arrange the potatoes evenly across the pan, so each wedge has a flat side against the pan.
- Drizzle with the olive oil mixture and then toss everything together to coat.
- Bake for 35 – 40 minutes, turning the wedges over halfway through. Don’t pull them out of the oven too early- they should be deeply golden.
- Serve with your favorite condiments.