My family loves meatballs, and these chicken meatballs are their all-time favorite. They are tender and juicy, then covered with a creamy lemony sauce that is bursting with a middle eastern flavor. The chicken meatballs are a little lighter than their beef counterparts, but they’re still plenty flavorful and are super easy to prepare. You can customize the recipe and use any ground meat to your preferred liking!
TIPS FOR SUCCESS:
Ground chicken: When you select your ground chicken, pick 93-96% lean ground chicken. Avoid 99% lean ground chicken breast. You can use ground turkey instead of ground chicken with great results.
Rolling the meatballs: Roll your meatballs with lightly oiled hands to prevent the meat from sticking to your fingers.
WHAT TO SERVE WITH MEATBALLS?
My favorite way to serve these easy homemade meatballs is on top of a pile of rice or mashed potatoes. Another option is to serve them with any pasta you like – linguine, penne, fusilli… But there are also lots of different things you can serve with these delicious meatballs, like a piece of thick bread or Challah.
All opinions are always 100% honest and my own. Links are affiliate links. If you click a link and buy something, I receive a commission for the sale. It doesn’t cost you anything extra and you are free to use the link or not as you choose. If you do use my links, I appreciate your support!
Chicken Meatballs in Lemony Sauce
For the chicken meatballs:
For the sauce:
- 3 tablespoons 45 ml olive oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 5 garlic cloves, sliced
- 1 red pepper, sliced
- 1 lemon without seeds, and cut into slices
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon tumeric
- 1 tablespoon (10 grams) granulated sugar
- salt and pepper
- 2 cups (480 ml) boiling water
- 1 1/2 tablespoons (15 grams) corn starch
- 4 tablespoons (60 ml) cold water
- 1/4 cup parsley, chopped
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 400F/200C. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and coat with cooking spray. Set aside.
- Using a box grater or food processor fitted with a grating disc, coarsely grate the potato. Wrap the grated potato in a kitchen towel and squeeze out as much liquid as possible.
To make the meatballs:
- Combine all the meatball ingredients in a mixing bowl. Mix together well, using your hands. Roll into 1½-inch balls and place on the parchment paper.
- Spray with cooking spray and bake for 15 minutes until slightly golden. It's okay if they are not fully cooked, they will cook in the sauce.
- Heat olive oil in a pot, add onion and garlic and cook for a few minutes, or until translucent.
- Add the red pepper and lemon and sauté for a few minutes until fragrant. Add paprika, turmeric, and sugar.
- Pour in the boiling water and bring it to a second boil.
- In a small bowl, mix cornstarch and cold water thoroughly.
- Pour the cornstarch mixture into the pot. Add salt and pepper, and stir to combine.
- Add the meatballs, cover the pot and cook over medium heat for 30 minutes. Give the meatballs a little stir about halfway through.
- Sprinkle with chopped parsley and serve warm.