One of the reasons I love puff pastry is that it is such a great way to make an easy but elegant appetizer. Asparagus pastry twists are cool-looking, always a hit, and ready in less than 30 minutes. I love simple and easy recipes that I can bake quickly before friends come.
The dough needs to thaw before you use it. If you can, take the package of puff out of the freezer and let it thaw in the fridge overnight or for 6-8 hours. The most important thing to remember when using puff pastry is that you don’t want it to get too warm. So when working with it, you need to be quick.
How to Make Asparagus Pastry Twists?
Step 1- Asparagus: Wash and trim.
Step 2- Puff pastry: Unfold/unroll the puff pastry sheet. Cut thin strips about ½- inch (1 cm) wide using a pizza roller. The length will depend on the size of the spears.
Step 3- Assembling: Take a strip and wrap it around the asparagus spear and place it onto a baking sheet. Repeat until you are done.
Step 4- Egg wash and seasoning: Brush the pastry with egg wash and sprinkle with salt and pepper on top.
Step 5– Bake!
More Recipes You’ll Love
All opinions are always 100% honest and my own. Links are affiliate links. If you click a link and buy something, I receive a commission for the sale. It doesn’t cost you anything extra and you are free to use the link or not as you choose. If you do use my links, I appreciate your support!
Asparagus Pastry Twists
- One sheet of about 9-ounce (250 grams) store-bought puff pastry thawed. It doesn't matter which puff pastry you are using. As long as you can cut strips out of it, you are good to go.
- 1 bunch asparagus (about 20-26 steams) I don't recommend using the very thick asparagus spears as they need more time to be cooked.
- 1 large egg
- salt and pepper to taste
- *Optional* a handful of shredded Parmesan cheese
- Preheated oven to 375°F/190°C.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Rinse the asparagus and cut the ends off about 2- inch (5 cm).
- Unfold/unroll the puff pastry sheet. Cut thin strips about ½- inch (1 cm) wide using a pizza roller. The length will depend on the size of the spears.
- Take a strip and wrap it around the asparagus spear. Leave the tip free.
- Place this onto a baking sheet lined with baking paper. Repeat until you are done.
- Beat the egg with a teaspoon of water.
- Brush each asparagus twist with the egg wash and sprinkle with salt and pepper, and Parmesan *optional*.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes or until the pastry is puffed and golden brown.
- Serve warm or at room temperature.