Crisp, delicious, meat-topped Pitas. Some may call it “The Middle Eastern Pizza”. Serve it with tahini and a fresh salad on the side and enjoy!
All opinions are always 100% honest and my own. Links are affiliate links. If you click a link and buy something, I receive a commission for the sale. It doesn’t cost you anything extra and you are free to use the link or not as you choose. If you do use my links, I appreciate your support!
For the dough
- 3 ½ cups (500 grams) all purpose flour + a little more for kneading
- 1 tablespoon (10 grams) active dry yeast
- 1 tablespoon (10 grams) granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons (30 ml) olive oil+ a little more
- 1 ½ cups (360 ml) lukewarm water
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
For the meat
- 1/2 lb (250 grams) ground beef
- 1 onion finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon sugar
- ¼ cup (60 ml) lemon juice
- A handful of chopped parsley
- salt and pepper to taste
- In a large standing mixer fitted with the dough hook, combine flour, yeast, and sugar. Mix for 1 minute.
- Add olive oil, water and mix until blended.
- Add salt, and let the mixer knead at a slow speed for 10 minutes. The dough should be smooth, shiny, and a little bit sticky! If the dough is not coming together, add a tiny bit of water.
- Grease the dough with a little bit of oil, cover with plastic wrap or towel, and let it rise until doubled in size, about 1-2 hours.
Preper the meat:
- Mix together ground beef, onion, paprika, cumin, sugar, lemon juice, and parsley.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Preheat oven to 400°F/180°C.
- Divide the dough into 8-10 equal pieces. Roll into balls the size of baseballs. Cover with a damp cloth and let rest for 10 minutes.
- Roll each dough ball to about ¼ inch (½ cm) thickness with a rolling pin.
- Spread 2-3 tablespoons of the beef mixture.
- Bake for 10-15 minutes or until the pitas are golden and the meat is done.
- Serve warm with chopped tomatoes and tahini sauce on the side.